Sunday 8 May 2016

Upcycling with Unstampabelles - Week two!

Happy Mother's Day to everyone - hope you had a good time on Sunday and got spoiled!


Today I am showing you how I made this mini album for Challenge #57 at Unstampabelles

Creative Upcycling

TWIST use something you have had in your craft room for a year or more

Do you belong to Split Coast Stampers?
I discovered them many a long year ago and they have saved me on many occasions too

Last year I read an article in a magazine about making a mini album from the empty toilet roll tubes, and became interested in them. I began to collect some rolls and my hubby wanted to know what for, so I explained the thinking behind my hoarding and he offered to assist by putting my collected rolls in the vice and squashing them for me. 


I had collected 6 and then got distracted by other things and they sat on my desk for a long time - in fact, when I went looking for them I had to dig quite heavily into the pile of stuff to find them again!

Last week on Split Coast Stampers they had a tutorial on making the album, prepared by Areli Johnson, which reignited my desire to make one, so I followed her tutorial to make my first album. Areli stamped her background, but I cheated and used my DP from SU for the Botanical's set instead.

The first thing to do after collecting (and squashing) the rolls is to paint them


Mine are painted white

Then squash one end and glue it together - I used double-sided tape

I followed the tutorial and covered the tubes with the DP, thus decorating each one
I also used the Crop-a-dile to set an eyelet into the closed end of the toilet paper roll. 


My old thing (for the twist) can be either the eyelets or the slbum ring - 
they are all well over a year old!

I cut out six tags to go inside the six rolls, and added a bit of extra card to each side of these, while using my SU tag punch to create a decorated top for each tag. They are meant to stick out of the roll for ease of removing - I did three in each alternative colour to match the DP.
Pool Party and Hello Honey


I added some decoration also to the front one - again using the dies from SU Botanicals set


The ribbons are from the stash



This is the prize being offered for this months challenge


Feeling inspired?

Go here to enter the challenge!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great little album. Very good upcycling (once again).