Monday 16 February 2015

Starry, starry night

I was mulling over what I was going to do next for my Unstampabelles inspiration for week 3, when someone mentioned the bright stars in Tasmanian skies at night. Mmmmm - Southern Cross!


Do any of you remember the poem "The Australian Sunrise" by J L Cuthbertson?

It has a line in it which is

.....the Cross hung low to the sea......

Every time I see the Southern Cross from the carport at night, I repeat that line, learnt when I was in Grade 7 at Dunalley State School. It is such a distinctive constellation. 

Starry night.
This snap was taken at Roaring Beach in the Tasman Peninsula. By day the landscape is known for towering sand dunes, but by night when the sky becomes a fury of stars, it’s easy to turn your attention skyward. 
Go Behind The Scenery here.
Reblogged from liamtbyrne.

Not only that, but the stars are so clear and crisp in our skies.  When we have had oversea's visitors staying with us they always comment on that fact. 


In addition..... the Southern Cross is on our National Flag!


So, armed with all these ideas seething around in my brainbox, I went to Pinterest for some inspiration regarding stars, and after looking at so many beautiful pieces of work, shut down the computer and decided to just do my own thing! Still, I do detect some influences in what was created!


I firstly got my largest  SU Stars die and traced around it onto a piece of SU Whisper White card. I found a patterned EF (Darice Flur de Lie) and embossed over the image. I used my Gelato's and smeared some red and then blue over the raised sections of the star and fussy-cut the shape out. 

The I cut another piece of SU WW card to fit the front of a commercial square card from Regal Craft, and die cut another star from this.  I attached it to the card front with small dimensionals and carefully inserted the coloured star into the space and glued it down. 

I then punched 3 small blue stars with my small SU punch, and found 3 red pearl stars from my stash, and placed them on the front. I remembered I had the button somewhere in the stash, and found that, and attached it to the banner, and used a puffy stick-on for the sentiment



I am not sure if it needs something else.

I will be honest - I got so engrossed in the making I forgot the rule for Unstampabelles - no stamps -and stamped out a sentiment banner.  It wasn't until I was about to write this up that I realised what I had done! Maybe if I add some ink to the inside of the outside star??? Does that actually make sense?
You know, just wiped some ink into the star to delineate it a bit........

Anyway - it will do!

Why don't you go and have a look at the Unstampbelles blog and check out the prize and the other entries and the inspiration, and then have a go yourself!

Oh, here is the first one!




3 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

Your star card is unique and super creative...I have to case it Susan!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Anonymous said...

Another fab card.
I am so sorry I missed this one when you posted. I think I'm all court up now - until next time.

Merry said...

What a unique card...I like those pearl stars you have added. Made me smile about the sentiment, I remember doing that myself a few times. :-)